Updated recommendation on molecular-targeted therapy for metastatic renal cell cancer

Molecular-targeted therapy was recommended for the systemic therapy of renal cell cancer (RCC) in the RCC guidelines, but these guidelines do not address the order of administration of the multiple presently available agents. There are several aspects that remain unknown regarding the optimal administration order and combination of molecular-targeted drugs. Until the optimal treatment sequence is determined by clinical trials, treatment individualization is required for each patient based on patient and disease characteristics. We herein investigate 12 cases of RCC patients who received axitinib. Axitinib was used as the first-line drug in 4 cases, second-line in 5 cases, third-line in 1 case and as a fourth-line drug in 2 cases. Partial response (PR) was observed in 4 cases (30%) and stable disease in 4 cases (30%) during axitinib treatment, with an overall response rate of 60%. The duration of PR ranged from 6 to 19 months. Based on our cases, axitinib exhibited reasonable therapeutic efficacy as first- as well as second-line treatment. However, more cases are required to draw firm conclusions.

Molecular and clinical oncology. 2017 Aug 11 [Epub]

Senji Hoshi, Kenji Numahata, Hidenori Kanno, Masahiko Sato, Akihito Kuromoto, Kunihisa Nezu, Takanari Sakai, Chihito Konno, Yuichi Ishizuka, Hideaki Izumi, Katsuyuki Taguchi, Kunio Ono, Kiyotsugu Hoshi, Satoshi Kanto, Rika Takahashi, Bilim Vladimir, Naoe Akimoto, Isoji Sasagawa, Shoichiro Ohta

Department of Urology, Yamagata Prefectural Central Hospital, Yamagata 990-2292, Japan., Department of Urology, Ishinomaki Red Cross Hospital, Ishinomaki, Miyagi 986-8522, Japan., Department Urology, Yamagata Tokushukai Hospital, Yamagata 990-0834, Japan., Department of Rehabilitation, Yamagata Tokushukai Hospital, Yamagata 990-0834, Japan., Department of Urology, Niigata Prefectural Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata 951-8566, Japan., Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Sakado, Saitama 350-0295, Japan.