Centers of Excellence
From the Editor
From the Desk of the Editor
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Center of Excellence on Bladder Cancer. “The time is now”. This is an often used phrase in literature, often enough to be considered a cliché. Yet it is exactly this term which applies to the field of bladder cancer research today.
After decades of relative stagnation our field is moving at a dizzying pace toward meaningful improvements in patient care for those suffering from this disease. From better understanding of variant histology, knowledge of the genetic profile of tumors, identification of key signaling pathways, advances in immunotherapy, the adoption of enhanced recover pathways, and more, we now have the tools to make truly meaningful improvements in our patients’ outcomes.
Ashish M. Kamat, MD
Ashish M. Kamat, MD is a Professor (Tenure) of Urology and Director of Urologic Oncology Fellowship at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, and a graduate of the AUA Leadership Program. Dr Kamat has authored over 200 publications, editorials & book chapters in prestigious journals; he is listed in 'Who's Who in Medicine' and ‘Best Doctors in America’ and has won the Compassionate Doctor Award from patient groups. He is an exceptional educator nominated twice for the Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award and has been invited as a visiting professor to several universities across the world. Dr Kamat is Co President,International Bladder Cancer Network, Chair, Bladder Cancer Think Tank (2015), Chair, Bladder Cancer Task Force for SITC, actively participates in various global urologic efforts, and serves on the board of regional and national societies for Urology.
ESMO 2017 Bladder Cancer
- ESMO 2017: Will RANGE study impact the standard of care in metastatic urothelial carcinoma? September 11, 2017
- ESMO 2017: Pembrolizumab ± chemotherapy versus chemotherapy in advanced urothelial cancer: Phase 3 KEYNOTE-361 trial September 11, 2017
- ESMO 2017: RANGE: A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled phase 3 study of docetaxel with or without ramucirumab in platinum refractory advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma September 11, 2017
- ESMO 2017: Epithelial-mesenchymal transition, T cell infiltration, and outcomes with nivolumab in urothelial cancer September 10, 2017
- ESMO 2017: Impact of Tumor Mutation Burden on Nivolumab Efficacy in Second-Line Urothelial Carcinoma Patients: Exploratory Analysis of the Phase II CheckMate 275 Study September 10, 2017
- Enhanced Recovery after Urological Surgery: A Contemporary Systematic Review of Outcomes, Key Elements, and Research Needs.
- Novel Gene Therapy Shows Three-Fold Improvement in Recurrence-Free Survival in High-Risk, Early-Stage Bladder Cancer Patients Where Current Gold-Standard Treatment Fails.
- Intravesical rAd-IFNα/Syn3 for Patients With High-Grade, Bacillus Calmette-Guerin-Refractory or Relapsed Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Phase II Randomized Study.
- Expert Commentary: Avelumab, an Anti–Programmed Death-Ligand 1 Antibody, In Patients With Refractory Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma: Results From a Multicenter, Phase Ib Study.
- Expert Commentary: Neoadjuvant chemotherapy prior to radical cystectomy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer with variant histology.