Centers of Excellence
From the Editor
From the Desk of the Editor
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Center of Excellence on Bladder Cancer. “The time is now”. This is an often used phrase in literature, often enough to be considered a cliché. Yet it is exactly this term which applies to the field of bladder cancer research today.
After decades of relative stagnation our field is moving at a dizzying pace toward meaningful improvements in patient care for those suffering from this disease. From better understanding of variant histology, knowledge of the genetic profile of tumors, identification of key signaling pathways, advances in immunotherapy, the adoption of enhanced recover pathways, and more, we now have the tools to make truly meaningful improvements in our patients’ outcomes.
Ashish M. Kamat, MD
Ashish M. Kamat, MD is a Professor (Tenure) of Urology and Director of Urologic Oncology Fellowship at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, and a graduate of the AUA Leadership Program. Dr Kamat has authored over 200 publications, editorials & book chapters in prestigious journals; he is listed in 'Who's Who in Medicine' and ‘Best Doctors in America’ and has won the Compassionate Doctor Award from patient groups. He is an exceptional educator nominated twice for the Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award and has been invited as a visiting professor to several universities across the world. Dr Kamat is Co President,International Bladder Cancer Network, Chair, Bladder Cancer Think Tank (2015), Chair, Bladder Cancer Task Force for SITC, actively participates in various global urologic efforts, and serves on the board of regional and national societies for Urology.
- CUA 2017: A Propensity Score Analysis of Radical Cystectomy vs. Bladder-Sparing Trimodal Therapy in the Setting of a Multidisciplinary Bladder Cancer Clinic June 27, 2017
- CUA 2017: Long-Term Incidence of Venous Thromboembolic Events Following cystectomy: A Population-Based Analysis June 27, 2017
- CUA 2017: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Hexaminolevulinate Blue Light-Assisted Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumors in a Universal Healthcare System June 26, 2017
- CUA 2017: Phase II Trial of Atezolizumab in Bacillus Calmette-Guérin-Unresponsive Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer June 26, 2017
- CUA 2017: Outcomes of Urothelial Bladder Cancer Patients who had Previous Upper Tract Urothelial Disease June 25, 2017
- Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Panurothelial Carcinoma Treated with Radical Nephroureterectomy Following Cystectomy for Metachronous Recurrence.
- [Concurrent renal cell carcinoma and urothelial carcinoma: long-term follow-up study of 24 cases].
- Variant histology as a significant predictor of survival after radical nephroureterectomy in patients with upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma.
- Identification of key pathways and genes influencing prognosis in bladder urothelial carcinoma.
- Clinical impact of postoperative loss in psoas major muscle and nutrition index after radical cystectomy for patients with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.