Centers of Excellence
From the Editor
From the Desk of the Editor
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Center of Excellence on Bladder Cancer. “The time is now”. This is an often used phrase in literature, often enough to be considered a cliché. Yet it is exactly this term which applies to the field of bladder cancer research today.
After decades of relative stagnation our field is moving at a dizzying pace toward meaningful improvements in patient care for those suffering from this disease. From better understanding of variant histology, knowledge of the genetic profile of tumors, identification of key signaling pathways, advances in immunotherapy, the adoption of enhanced recover pathways, and more, we now have the tools to make truly meaningful improvements in our patients’ outcomes.
Ashish M. Kamat, MD
Ashish M. Kamat, MD is a Professor (Tenure) of Urology and Director of Urologic Oncology Fellowship at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, and a graduate of the AUA Leadership Program. Dr Kamat has authored over 200 publications, editorials & book chapters in prestigious journals; he is listed in 'Who's Who in Medicine' and ‘Best Doctors in America’ and has won the Compassionate Doctor Award from patient groups. He is an exceptional educator nominated twice for the Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award and has been invited as a visiting professor to several universities across the world. Dr Kamat is Co President,International Bladder Cancer Network, Chair, Bladder Cancer Think Tank (2015), Chair, Bladder Cancer Task Force for SITC, actively participates in various global urologic efforts, and serves on the board of regional and national societies for Urology.
ASCO GU 2018 Bladder Cancer
- ASCO GU 2018: Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors: Which One and Why? February 10, 2018
- ASCO GU 2018: Two-year Follow-up: 3 KEYNOTE-045 Trial of Pembrolizumab vs Investigator’s Choice Chemotherapy in Recurrent, Advanced Urothelial Cancer February 10, 2018
- ASCO GU 2018: New 6-factor prognostic model for patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma receiving post-platinum atezolizumab February 10, 2018
- ASCO GU 2018: Atezolizumab vs. Chemotherapy in Platinum-treated Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma - Outcomes from the Phase III IMvigor211 Study February 10, 2018
- ASCO GU 2018: Nivolumab monotherapy in metastatic urothelial carcinoma: Longer-term efficacy and safety results from the CheckMate 032 study February 10, 2018
- First-line pembrolizumab in cisplatin-ineligible patients with locally advanced and unresectable or metastatic urothelial cancer (KEYNOTE-052): a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 study
- Enhanced Recovery after Urological Surgery: A Contemporary Systematic Review of Outcomes, Key Elements, and Research Needs.
- Novel Gene Therapy Shows Three-Fold Improvement in Recurrence-Free Survival in High-Risk, Early-Stage Bladder Cancer Patients Where Current Gold-Standard Treatment Fails.
- Intravesical rAd-IFNα/Syn3 for Patients With High-Grade, Bacillus Calmette-Guerin-Refractory or Relapsed Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Phase II Randomized Study.
- Expert Commentary: Avelumab, an Anti–Programmed Death-Ligand 1 Antibody, In Patients With Refractory Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma: Results From a Multicenter, Phase Ib Study.