Phase III Study of Image Guided Radiation Therapy With or Without Androgen Suppression for Intermediate Risk Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate
Condition: Prostate Cancer
Study Type: Interventional
Clinical Trials Identifier NCT 8-digits: NCT01492972
Sponsor: Proton Collaborative Group
Phase: Phase 3
- Age: minimum 18 Years maximum N/A
- Gender: Male
- Histologically confirmed prostate adenocarcinoma (within 365 days of randomization) at intermediate risk for reoccurrence determined by at least one of the following: Gleason Score 7, PSA > = 10 and < = 20, T stage T2b
- Clinical stages T1-T2c N0 M0 as staged by the treating investigator. (AJCC Criteria 7th Ed.- appendix III).
- Histological evaluation of prostate biopsy with assignment of a Gleason score to the biopsy material; Gleason score must be in the range of 2-7. > 6 cores are strongly recommended.
- PSA values < = 20 ng/ml within 90 days prior to randomization. Obtained prior to biopsy or at least 21 days after prostate biopsy.
- ECOG performance status 0-1 (appendix II) assessed within 90 days of randomization.
- Patients must sign IRB approved study specific informed consent.
- Patients must complete all required pre-entry tests listed in section 4.0 within the specified time frames.
- Patients must be able to start treatment within 56 days of randomization.
- Patients must be at least 18 years old.
- For brachytherapy, an IPSS ≤ 21, or ≤ 17 if patient is on medications to improve urination.
- For brachytherapy, prostate volume must be less than 55cc prior to AS.
- Pelvic lymph nodes > 1.5 cm in greatest dimension unless the enlarged lymph node is biopsied and negative.
- Previous prostate cancer surgery to include: prostatectomy, hyperthermia and cryosurgery.
- Previous pelvic radiation for prostate cancer.
- Previous androgen suppression therapy for prostate cancer.
- Active rectal diverticulitis, Crohn's disease affecting the rectum or ulcerative colitis (non-active diverticulitis and Crohn's disease not affecting the rectum are allowed).
- Prior systemic chemotherapy for prostate cancer.
- History of proximal urethral stricture requiring dilatation.
- Current and continuing anticoagulation with warfarin sodium (Coumadin), heparin, low- molecular weight heparin, Clopidogrel bisulfate (Plavix), or equivalent (unless it can be stopped to manage treatment related toxicity or to have a biopsy if needed).
- Major medical, addictive or psychiatric illness which in the investigator's opinion, will prevent the consent process, completion of the treatment and/or interfere with follow-up. (Consent by legal authorized representative is not permitted for this study).
- Evidence of any other cancer within the past 5 years and < 50% probability of a 5 year survival. (Prior or concurrent diagnosis of basal cell or non-invasive squamous cell cancer of the skin is allowed).
- History of myocardial infarction within the last 6 months.
View trial on ClinicalTrials.gov