To assess the results of the initial therapeutic approach to ureteroceles at our institution and the need for further interventions.
Retrospective study of all pediatric cases of ureterocele diagnosed at our center between January 2000 and December 2011.
Forty-three patients were analyzed. Initial diagnoses were ureterohydronephrosis in 34 (33 prenatal), febrile urinary tract infection (UTI) in 5 and prolapsed ureterocele in 3. Expectant management was decided upon in 6 patients (14%). Of these, 1 required surgery. The remaining 37 (86%) initially underwent surgery: transurethral puncture (18), heminephrectomy (14), nephrectomy (3) and reimplantation (2). Twelve (66. 6%) of the 18 patients who underwent primary puncture progressed well and required no further intervention. New-onset vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) to the upper pole appeared after puncture in 3 patients, but none required treatment. Only 6 patients (33. 3%) underwent a second procedure. Mean follow-up was 8. 5 years (DT: 3. 08).
Early endoscopic puncture is useful for decompression and often the definitive treatment. Although new-onset VUR into the punctured system is the most common complication, it often resolves spontaneously. Early heminephrectomy in patients with non-functioning upper moieties yields excellent results but may not be necessary. Some patients may not need TUP or any surgical intervention at all.
Urology. 2015 Dec 07 [Epub ahead of print]
R Gander, M Llorente Asensio, G F Gomes Royo, J Lloret
Pediatric Urology Group. ; Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Vall d´Hebron. Pediatric Urology Group. ; Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Vall d´Hebron. , Pediatric Urology Group. ; Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Vall d´Hebron. , Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Vall d´Hebron.