Transperitoneal Robot-assisted Partial Nephrectomy with Minimum Follow-up of 5 Years: Oncological and Functional Outcomes from a Single Institution.

Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy (RAPN) is an established, minimally invasive nephron-sparing technique with excellent perioperative and intermediate oncological outcomes. However, long-term oncological outcomes have not been reported to date.

To report oncological and functional outcomes of RAPN among patients with minimum follow-up of 5 yr.

Data for consecutive patients undergoing RAPN since October 2006 were extracted from a prospectively-maintained institutional PN database. Patients with benign tumors, genetic mutations, prior radical or ipsilateral PN, and those with follow-up of <5 yr were excluded.

Transperitoneal RAPN for renal cell carcinoma (RCC).

Demographic, perioperative, postoperative, functional, and oncological data were evaluated. A linear random-effects model was used to estimate the effect of follow-up duration on the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) after adjustment for potential confounders. Univariable competing-risks regression analyses were performed to evaluate the hazard ratio (HR) for cancer-related events for the variables of interest.

A total of 278 RAPNs for RCC were included. eGFR was significantly lower at follow-up time points than at baseline. At last follow-up (median 46 mo, interquartile range 30-58) the mean eGFR difference was -10.6ml/min (95% confidence interval -12.56 to -8.66; p < 0.0001). There were 28 deaths (10.1%) in the cohort during the follow-up period, of which five (1.8%) were related to metastatic RCC. The 5-yr and 7-yr cumulative incidence of RCC deaths was 1.80% at both 5 and 7 yr, while the cumulative incidence of local recurrence was 3.61% and 4.16%, and that of metastasis was 3.24% and 4.57% at 5 and 7 yr, respectively. Univariable competing-risks regression revealed that higher Fuhrman grade (HR 8.76; p = 0.051), larger tumor size (HR 1.67; p < 0.0001), and tumor necrosis (HR 16.73; p = 0.0019) were independent predictors of RCC death. The retrospective design and potential selection bias due to patient selection in the early RAPN experience may limit the generalizability of the findings.

This is the first study reporting minimum oncological follow-up of 5 yr after RAPN. The results demonstrate excellent long-term oncological outcomes after RAPN in a selected cohort of patients. Our data confirm that the renal functional deterioration after RAPN remains stable over time after the early postoperative decrease.

Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy is being more widely used as a standard treatment for small localized renal cell carcinomas. This study reveals excellent long-term cancer control for both local recurrences and distant metastases. Renal function is stable after an initial postoperative deterioration.

European urology oncology. 2018 Jul 14 [Epub]

Riccardo Bertolo, Juan Garisto, Julien Dagenais, Daniel Sagalovich, Robert Stein, Khaled Fareed, Tianming Gao, Sherif Armanyous, Amr Fergany, Michael Lioudis, Jihad Kaouk

Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA., Quantitative Health Sciences, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA., Department of Nephrology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA., Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA. Electronic address: .

E-Newsletters

Newsletter subscription

Free Daily and Weekly newsletters offered by content of interest

The fields of GU Oncology and Urology are rapidly advancing. Sign up today for articles, videos, conference highlights and abstracts from peer-review publications by disease and condition delivered to your inbox and read on the go.

Subscribe