A Phase III Randomised Trial of Peri-Operative Chemotherapy Versus sUrveillance in Upper Tract Urothelial Cancer
Condition: Transitional Cell Carcinoma of Ureter
Study Type: Interventional
Clinical Trials Identifier NCT 8-digits: NCT01993979
Sponsor: Institute of Cancer Research, United Kingdom
Phase: Phase 3
- Age: minimum 18 Years maximum N/A
- Gender: All
- Written informed consent
- ≥18 years of age
- Post radical nephro-ureterectomy for upper tract tumour with predominant TCC component
- squamoid differentiation or mixed TCC/SCC is permitted.
- Histologically confirmed TCC staged pT2-pT4 pN0-3 M0 or pTany N1-3 M0 (providing all grossly abnormal nodes are resected). Patients with microscopically positive margins on pathology may be entered (providing all grossly abnormal disease was resected).
- Satisfactory haematological profile (ANC> 1.5 x 109/L, platelet count ≥ 100 x 109/L) and liver function tests (bilirubin < 1.5 x ULN, AST and Alkaline phosphatase < 2.5 x ULN), Glomerular filtration rate ≥30 mls/min.
- Fit and willing to receive adjuvant chemotherapy with first cycle to be commenced within 90 days of radical nephro-ureterectomy if allocated
- WHO performance status 0-1.
- Available for long-term follow-up
- Evidence of distant metastases
- Pure adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma or small cell or other variant histology
- Un-resected macroscopic nodal disease
- Concurrent muscle invasive bladder cancer (patients with concurrent Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) will be eligible)
- GFR <30 ml/minute. NB Gemcitabine-carboplatin can only be given for patients with suboptimal renal function for cisplatin i.e. for GFR 30-49ml/min. Patients with poor performance status or co-morbidities that would make them unfit for chemotherapy are ineligible for the trial
- Significant co-morbid conditions that would interfere with administration of protocol treatment
- Pregnancy; lactating women or women of childbearing potential unwilling or unable to use adequate non-hormonal contraception (male patients should also use contraception if sexually active);
- Previous malignancy in the last 5 years except for previous NMIBC, adequately controlled non melanoma skin tumours, CIS of cervix or LCIS of breast or localised prostate cancer in patients who have a life expectancy of over 5 years upon trial entry.
View trial on ClinicalTrials.gov