Introduction: Evaluation of patients with newly diagnosed renal cell carcinoma (RCC) often includes evaluating serum levels of aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and alkaline phosphatase (ALP). Traditional teaching is these laboratory values, if elevated, may indicate the presence of metastatic disease to the liver (AST and ALT) or bones (ALP). We analyzed our institutional RCC database to determine how consistently aberrations in these values were present when metastatic RCC was present.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective chart review was completed, identifying 315 patients diagnosed with RCC who had AST, ALT, and ALP values available for review. Overall rates of aberration, as well as rates of aberration in those patients presenting with metastatic RCC, were calculated.
Results: Of the 315 patients in the study cohort, 61 (19.4%) presented with an elevation in 1 or more of the laboratory values in question. Of these 61 patients, 58 (95%) presented with clinically localized disease. The remaining 3 patients (5%) presented with lung metastasis identified on imaging and had isolated elevations of ALP ranging from 130 IU/L to 278 IU/L; these 3 patients were of the 9 in the cohort who presented with lung metastasis. Five patients presented with metastatic lesions to the bone with no elevation of ALP present. Five patients presented with metastatic lesions to the liver, and none of these patients had any elevation of ALT or AST. However, 1 of these 5 patients did have minimal elevation in ALP, 130 IU/L, but also had a concomitant lung metastasis.
Conclusion: Elevation in ALP, while not seen in patients with bone metastasis in this cohort, was present in 33.3% of patients presenting with lung metastasis. Therefore, an identified aberration in ALP may be considered to direct closer pulmonary evaluation. Regarding AST and ALT, elevations of these laboratory values were not present in any patients with liver metastasis. These observations highlight that AST, ALT, and ALP are unreliable in suggesting the presence of metastatic RCC lesions in liver or bone, and underscore the importance of imaging.
Joshua E. Logan, David A. Staneck, Mary H. James, Jack W. Lambert, Robert W. Given, Raymond S. Lance, Michael D. Fabrizio, Stephen B. Riggs
Department of Urology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Submitted April 18, 2013 - Accepted for Publication June 30, 2013
KEYWORDS: Renal cell carcinoma, metastases, laboratory values, AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase
CORRESPONDENCE: Joshua E. Logan, MD, Fellow, Institute of Urologic Oncology, Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States ()
CITATION: UroToday Int J. 2013 August;6(4):art 46. http://dx.doi.org/10.3834/uij.1944-5784.2013.08.05