Outcome of radical retropubic prostatectomy at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men in Nigeria and most cases present when the disease is already in an advanced stage. Radical prostatectomy for early prostate cancer is therefore not a commonly performed operation by urologists in Nigeria. We have had training and significant experience in radical retropubic prostatectomy. We, therefore, report the outcome of our initial experience.

We review the record of men with early prostate cancer who had radical retropubic prostatectomy in our institution from 2007 to 2015.

There were 34 men who had radical retropubic prostatectomy in the 8-year period of review. The youngest and oldest patients were aged 50 and 71 years, respectively. The mean age was 64.2 years. All the patients were diagnosed following 12-core ultrasound-guided transrectal prostate biopsy for elevated serum prostate specific antigen (PSA). The mean serum PSA was 15.3 (range 8.5-100.3) ng/ml. The disease was pT1, pT2, and pT3 in 6, 20, and 8 patients respectively. General anesthesia was employed in 28 (82.4%) patients and combined epidural and subarachnoid block anesthesia for 6 (17.6%) patients. The total duration of operation was 128-252 min (mean = 160 min). No blood transfusion was given in 5 (14.7%) patients while each of the remaining 29 (85.3%) patients had 2-5 units of blood intra- or post-operatively. There was no perioperative mortality. Complications include operation-induced erectile dysfunction in 12 (35.3%), major urinary incontinence in 1 (2.9%), lymphocele in 2 (5.9%), and reoperation due to anastomotic leak and right ureteric injury in 1 (2.9%). After a median follow-up of 42 months, disease recurrence has occurred in 3 (8.8%) patients 1 (2.9%) of whom has died of diabetic renal failure.

Radical prostatectomy can be safely performed in men with early prostate cancer in Nigeria and should be offered to suitable patients.

Nigerian medical journal : journal of the Nigeria Medical Association. 0000 [Epub]

Stephen Odunayo Ikuerowo, Alaba Fredrick Doherty, Muftau Jimoh Bioku, Abimbola Ayodeji Abolarinwa, Adekunle Azeez Adebayo, Steves Olaide Oyeleke, Olufunmilade Akinfolarin Omisanjo

Department of Surgery, Urology Division, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria; Department of Surgery, Urology Division, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria., Department of Surgery, Urology Division, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria., Department of Surgery, Urology Division, Federal Staff Medical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria., Department of Anaesthesia, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.