History of gonorrhea and prostate cancer in a population-based case-control study in Mexico.

We evaluated the association between a history of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and the risk for prostate cancer (PC) among Mexican males.

PC incident cases (n=402) that were identified at six public hospitals in Mexico City were matched by age (±5 years) with 805 population controls with no history of PC.

By face-to-face interview, we obtained information about sexual history, previous STDs, sociodemographic characteristics, and familial history of PC. An unconditional logistic regression model was used to estimate the risk for PC.

A total of 16. 6% of men reported having had at least one previous STD, and the most frequently reported STD was gonorrhea (10. 5%). After adjusting by PC familial history, the history of STD was associated with a two-fold greater risk of PC: odds ratio (OR)=2. 67; 95% confidence interval (95% CI=1. 91-3. 73). When each STD was evaluated separately, only gonorrhea was associated with a significant increase in PC risk (OR=3. 04; 95% CI=1. 99-4. 64). These associations were similar when we stratified by low-risk PC (Gleason <7) and high-risk PC (Gleason ≥7).

These results confirm that STDs, and particularly gonorrhea, may play an etiological role in PC among Mexican males, which is consistent with a previous report from a multiethnic cohort.

Cancer epidemiology. 2015 Dec 16 [Epub ahead of print]

Ruth Argelia Vázquez-Salas, Luisa Torres-Sánchez, Lizbeth López-Carrillo, Martín Romero-Martínez, Hugo A Manzanilla-García, Carlos Humberto Cruz-Ortíz, Fernando Mendoza-Peña, Miguel Ángel Jiménez-Ríos, Francisco Rodríguez-Covarrubias, Narciso Hernández-Toríz, Othón Moreno-Alcázar

Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública (INSP), Av. Universidad 655, Col. Sta. María Ahuacatitlán, 62100 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. , Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública (INSP), Av. Universidad 655, Col. Sta. María Ahuacatitlán, 62100 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública (INSP), Av. Universidad 655, Col. Sta. María Ahuacatitlán, 62100 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. , Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública (INSP), Av. Universidad 655, Col. Sta. María Ahuacatitlán, 62100 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. , Hospital General de México, Dr. Balmis 148, Col. Doctores, Deleg. Cuauhtémoc, 06726 México, D. F. , Mexico. , Hospital General de México, Dr. Balmis 148, Col. Doctores, Deleg. Cuauhtémoc, 06726 México, D. F. , Mexico. , Hospital Regional "Lic. Adolfo López Mateos" (ISSSTE), Av. Universidad 1321, Col. Florida Deleg. Álvaro Obregón, 01030 México, D. F. , Mexico. , Instituto Nacional de Cancerología (INCan), Av. San Fernando No. 22, Col. Sección XVI, Deleg. Tlalpan, 14080 México, D. F. , Mexico. , Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Médicas y Nutrición Salvador Zubirán (INCMNSZ), Av. Vasco de Quiroga 15, Col. Belisario Domínguez, Col. Sección XVI, Deleg. Tlalpan, 14080 México, D. F, Mexico. , Hospital de Oncología, Centro Médico Siglo XXI (CMN-SXXI), Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS), Av. Cuauhtémoc 330, Col. Doctores, Deleg. Cuauhtémoc, México, D. F. , 06720, Mexico. , Hospital General Regional No. 1. "Carlos MacGregor Sánchez Navarro" (IMSS), Eje 2 Pte 222, Col. Del Valle Centro, Deleg. Benito Juárez, 03100 México, D. F. , Mexico.

PubMed