The change of prostate cancer treatment in Korea: 5 Year analysis of a single institution - Abstract

Purpose: We analyzed changes to the trends of prostate cancer management and patient characteristics at a single institute during 5 years due to the significant increase of the prostate cancer incidence and the robotic equipment in Korea.

Materials and Methods: Prostate cancer patient data from a single institute recorded from 2006 to 2010 were analyzed. Cancer stage, initial treatment modalities, and the pattern of outpatient clinical management were reviewed.

Results: Between 2006 and 2010, 386 prostate cancers were newly diagnosed at the institute. The proportion of localized and locally advanced cancer cases increased from 67% in 2006 to 79% in 2010 respectively. Among the treatment choices during follow-up in the out-patients clinic, the proportion of radical prostatectomies increased from 43% in 2006 to 62% in 2010. In contrast, the proportion of hormone therapies decreased from 58% to 37%. For initial treatment choice, radical prostatectomy was chosen for 59% of the patients who were newly diagnosed with cancer during the study period. However, hormone therapy alone was administrated as a primary therapy to 26%. Analysis of the radical prostatectomy subgroup showed that a robot- assisted technique was used in 83% of the patients, and the remaining 17% underwent an open radical prostatectomy.

Conclusion: As the prostate cancer incidence increased in Korea, the proportion of localized and locally advanced cancer also increased. In addition, the main treatment modality changed from non-surgical treatment to radical prostatectomy.

Written by:
Lee DH, Jung HB, Chung MS, Lee SH, Chung BH.   Are you the author?
Department of Urology and Urological Science Institute, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 211 Eonju-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-720, Korea.

Reference: Yonsei Med J. 2013 Jan 1;54(1):87-91.
doi: 10.3349/ymj.2013.54.1.87

PubMed Abstract
PMID: 23225803 Prostate Cancer Section