The manuscript published following the APCCC 2017 provides a guide for clinicians to assist in the discussions with patients as part of a multidisciplinary decision-making process particularly in areas lacking clear evidence from randomized clinical trials on which to base treatment recommendations.1 Due to the rapid changes in prostate cancer management since this publication of the APCCC recommendations in 2017, an additional workshop was held in Beirut in March 2019 to update our resource-stratified consensus recommendations specifically for the Middle East using a modified-Delphi method. Resource- stratified recommendations are based on expert-opinion and structured in-line with a simplified version of the resource-stratification levels proposed by the Breast Health Global Initiative (BHGI) and adopted by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).3 In a region lacking access to specialist multidisciplinary care in many areas, these recommendations are not designed to replace evidence-based guidelines however may assist in management decisions for patients with different levels of access to diagnostic and treatment modalities.
Written by: Deborah Mukherji, MBBS FRCP1 and Raja Khauli, MD, FACS2
1. Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, American University of Beirut
2. Professor of Urology & Surgery Urologic Oncology and Robotics American University of Beirut-MED Adjunct Professor of Urology University of Massachusetts
Read the Abstract
1. Gillessen, Silke et al. 2018. "Management of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: The Report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference APCCC 2017". European Urology 73 (2): 178-211. Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2017.06.002.
2. Diamond IR et al (2014) Defining consensus: a systematic review recommends methodologic criteria for reporting of Delphi studies. J Clin Epidemiol 67(4):401–409
3. Al-Sukhun S et al (2018) ASCO resource-stratified guidelines: methods and opportunities. J Glob Oncol 4:1–8