Impact of exercise on physical health status in bladder cancer patients.

There is a scarcity of data on the impact of behavioral habits, such as exercise, on physical health in patients with bladder cancer. We investigated the association of exercise on self-reported physical health status and examined the prevalence of bladder cancer patients with sedentary lifestyle.

We examined cross-sectional data of participants diagnosed with bladder cancer within the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) from 2016-2020. Patient health status was surveyed using self-reported measures such as the total days per month when their "physical health is not good." The primary outcome was patient-reported poor physical health for more than 14 days within a one-month period.

Out of 2 193 981 survey participants, we identified 936 with a history of bladder cancer. Nearly one in three bladder cancer patients reported being sedentary within the last month, as a total of 307 (32.8%) patients reported no exercise within the last 30 days. The remaining 628 (67.2%) reported exercising for at least one day within the last month. In multivariable logistic regression model analysis, we found that exercise is protective for self-reported poor physical health status (odds ratio 0.37, 95% confidence interval 0.25-0.56, p<0.001). Patients that exercised were less likely to report bad physical health.

Approximately one in three bladder cancer patients report no exercise within 30 days, suggesting a sedentary lifestyle. Patients that are active are less likely to self-report poor physical health status. Implementation of exercise programs for bladder cancer patients could be promising in improving health status.

Canadian Urological Association journal = Journal de l'Association des urologues du Canada. 2022 Aug 30 [Epub ahead of print]

Mara Koelker, Khalid Alkhatib, Logan Briggs, Muhieddine Labban, Christian P Meyer, Christina M Dieli-Conwright, Dong-Woo Kang, Graeme Steele, Mark A Preston, Timothy N Clinton, Steve L Chang, Adam S Kibel, Quoc-Dien Trinh, Matthew Mossanen

Brigham and Women's Hospital, Division of Urological Surgery and Center of Surgery and Public Health, Boston, MA, United States., Department of Urology, Ruhr University Bochum, Klinikum Herford, Herford, Germany., Division of Population Sciences, Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, United States.

email news signup