Results: Survey of pediatric urology electronic medical records-use and perspectives - Abstract

Departments of Urology, Pediatrics and Biostatistics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences-Arkansas Children's Hospital, Arkansas.

Division of Pediatric Urology, Arkansas Children's Hospital and Department of Biostatistics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, and Department of Urology, Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio.



The $19.2 billion Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act will have a dramatic effect on the adoption of electronic medical records in the United States by directly reimbursing for the adoption of electronic medical records in the future. We sought to gain an understanding of electronic medical record use in pediatric urology to aid in the transition to electronic medical records.

All Fellows and post-fellowship Fellow Candidates of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Urology were recruited to participate in the survey. Electronic and paper versions of this 50-question internal review board approved anonymous survey were sent to potential participants.

Of 286 pediatric urologists 165 completed the survey for a 65% response rate. Of the respondents 67.3% were pediatric urologists in academic or hospital based practice while the remaining 32.7% were in private practice. Overall 78.8% of respondents reported using electronic medical records at the hospital while 67.3% used them at the office/clinic. Of the physicians 12.1% reported that they would retire if electronic medical record use was federally mandated.

Pediatric urologists in the United States appear to have embraced the adoption of electronic medical records. A large number of academic/hospital based and private practice pediatric urologists have begun to use electronic medical records. Most respondents were interested in improving electronic medical record use in our field, believed that physicians would be most capable of developing ideal electronic medical records and would be interested in participating in a national cooperative effort to improve electronic medical record use.

Written by:
Canon SJ, Purifoy JA, Heulitt GM, Hogan W, Swearingen C, Williams M, Alpert S, Young D.   Are you the author?

Reference: J Urol. 2011 Oct;186(4 Suppl):1740-5.
doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2011.04.022

PubMed Abstract
PMID: 21862073 Pediatric Urology Section