- Extremely common problem
- One quarter of all male office visits for genitourinary symptoms
- Up to 50% of men will have an episode of this disorder in their lifetimes
- Selman, HC and Pontari, M: Prostatitis and lower urinary tract infections in men. In: Clinical Manual of Urology, Hanno, PM, Malkowicz, SB, and Wein, AJ (eds); WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp185-193, 2001.
- Abarbanel, J, Engelstein, D, Lask, D, and Livne, PM: Urinary tract infection in men younger than 45 years of age: is there a need for urologic investigation? Urology, 62:27-29, 2003.
- Scheaffer, AJ, (ed): Advances in the diagnosis and treatment of prostatitis; Urology, 60, number 6A, December 2002 supplement.
- Potts, JM: Diagnosing the prostatitis patient: the dilemma continues. Curr Urol Rep. 2002 Aug; 3(4):319-323.
- Anderson, RU: Management of chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Urol Clin North Am, 29:235-239, 2002.
- Kreiger, JN, Ross, SO, Penson, DF, and Riley, DE: Symptoms and inflammation in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Urology, 60:959-963, 2002.