Beyond a VISION to Making a SPLASH: Advances in PSMA-Based Theranostics in Prostate Cancer
In spite of the rapid progress and many exciting advances in the treatment of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer over the past few years, the disease remains incurable with a median overall survival of 12-35 months.1-4
- Written by:
Christopher J.D. Wallis, MD, PhD, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Zachary Klaassen, MD, MSc, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
- Kantoff PW, Higano CS, Shore ND, et al. Sipuleucel-T immunotherapy for castration-resistant prostate cancer. The New England journal of medicine. 2010;363(5):411-422.
- Ryan CJ, Smith MR, Fizazi K, et al. Abiraterone acetate plus prednisone versus placebo plus prednisone in chemotherapy-naive men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (COU-AA-302): final overall survival analysis of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. The lancet oncology. 2015;16(2):152-160.
- de Bono JS, Oudard S, Ozguroglu M, et al. Prednisone plus cabazitaxel or mitoxantrone for metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer progressing after docetaxel treatment: a randomised open-label trial. Lancet. 2010;376(9747):1147-1154.
- Parker C, Nilsson S, Heinrich D, et al. Alpha emitter radium-223 and survival in metastatic prostate cancer. The New England journal of medicine. 2013;369(3):213-223.
- Sartor O. Isotope Therapy for Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer: Unique Sequencing and Combinations. Cancer J. 2016;22(5):342-346.
- Ye X, Sun D, Lou C. Comparison of the efficacy of strontium-89 chloride in treating bone metastasis of lung, breast, and prostate cancers. J Cancer Res Ther. 2018;14(Supplement):S36-S40.
- James N, Pirrie S, Pope A, et al. TRAPEZE: a randomised controlled trial of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of chemotherapy with zoledronic acid, strontium-89, or both, in men with bony metastatic castration-refractory prostate cancer. Health technology assessment. 2016;20(53):1-288.
- Henriksen G, Breistol K, Bruland OS, Fodstad O, Larsen RH. Significant antitumor effect from bone-seeking, alpha-particle-emitting (223)Ra demonstrated in an experimental skeletal metastases model. Cancer research. 2002;62(11):3120-3125.
- Bruland OS, Nilsson S, Fisher DR, Larsen RH. High-linear energy transfer irradiation targeted to skeletal metastases by the alpha-emitter 223Ra: adjuvant or alternative to conventional modalities? Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2006;12(20 Pt 2):6250s-6257s.
- Sadaghiani MS, Sheikhbahaei S, Werner RA, et al. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of the Effectiveness and Toxicities of Lutetium-177-labeled Prostate-specific Membrane Antigen-targeted Radioligand Therapy in Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. European urology. 2021;80(1):82-94.
- Hofman MS, Emmett L, Sandhu S, et al. [(177)Lu]Lu-PSMA-617 versus cabazitaxel in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (TheraP): a randomised, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet. 2021;397(10276):797-804.
- Sartor O, de Bono J, Chi KN, et al. Lutetium-177-PSMA-617 for Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. The New England journal of medicine. 2021.