In 2021, there will be an estimated 9,470 new cases of testicular cancer in the United States with an estimated 440 testis cancer-related deaths.1 Importantly, the vast majority of men with testis cancer, even in advanced stages, are cured as a result of the success of high dose chemotherapy regimens that are tolerated by this typically young and healthy patient population. Given both the relatively young age at diagnosis and overall high survival rates, there has been a much needed and welcome focus on survivorship for testicular cancer patients.
A Patient Journey
- Written by: Christopher J.D. Wallis, MD, PhD, and Zachary Klaassen, MD MSc
1. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Fuchs HE, Jemal A. Cancer Statistics, 2021. CA Cancer J Clin. 2021;71(1):7-33.
2. Kerns SL, Fung C, Monahan PO, et al. Cumulative Burden of Morbidity Among Testicular Cancer Survivors After Standard Cisplatin-Based Chemotherapy: A Multi-Institutional Study. J Clin Oncol. 2018;36(15):1505-1512.
3. Fung C, Sesso HD, Williams AM, et al. Multi-Institutional Assessment of Adverse Health Outcomes Among North American Testicular Cancer Survivors After Modern Cisplatin-Based Chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(11):1211-1222.
4. Sineath RC, Mehta A. Preservation of Fertility in Testis Cancer Management. Urol Clin North Am. 2019;46(3):341-351.
5. Patel HD, Srivastava A, Alam R, et al. Radiotherapy for stage I and II testicular seminomas: Secondary malignancies and survival. Urol Oncol. 2017;35(10):606 e601-606 e607.
6. Abouassaly R, Fossa SD, Giwercman A, et al. Sequelae of treatment in long-term survivors of testis cancer. Eur Urol. 2011;60(3):516-526.
7. Chovanec M, Lauritsen J, Bandak M, et al. Late adverse effects and quality of life in survivors of testicular germ cell tumour. Nat Rev Urol. 2021;18(4):227-245.
8. van den Belt-Dusebout AW, Nuver J, de Wit R, et al. Long-term risk of cardiovascular disease in 5-year survivors of testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24(3):467-475.
9. Fung C, Dinh PC, Fossa SD, Travis LB. Testicular Cancer Survivorship. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019;17(12):1557-1568.
10. Raphael MJ, Gupta S, Wei X, et al. Long-Term Mental Health Service Utilization Among Survivors of Testicular Cancer: A Population-Based Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol. 2021;39(7):779-786.
11. Thorsen L, Nystad W, Stigum H, et al. The association between self-reported physical activity and prevalence of depression and anxiety disorder in long-term survivors of testicular cancer and men in a general population sample. Support Care Cancer. 2005;13(8):637-646.
12. Soleimani M, Kollmannsberger C, Bates A, Leung B, Ho C. Patient-reported psychosocial distress in adolescents and young adults with germ cell tumours. Support Care Cancer. 2021;29(4):2105-2110.
13. Kreiberg M, Bandak M, Lauritsen J, et al. Psychological stress in long-term testicular cancer survivors: a Danish nationwide cohort study. J Cancer Surviv. 2020;14(1):72-79.
14. Smith AB, Rutherford C, Butow P, et al. A systematic review of quantitative observational studies investigating psychological distress in testicular cancer survivors. Psychooncology. 2018;27(4):1129-1137.
15. Misono S, Weiss NS, Fann JR, Redman M, Yueh B. Incidence of suicide in persons with cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(29):4731-4738.
16. Zaorsky NG, Zhang Y, Tuanquin L, Bluethmann SM, Park HS, Chinchilli VM. Suicide among cancer patients. Nat Commun. 2019;10(1):207.
17. Gunnes MW, Lie RT, Bjorge T, et al. Suicide and violent deaths in survivors of cancer in childhood, adolescence and young adulthood-A national cohort study. Int J Cancer. 2017;140(3):575-580.
18. Tuinman MA, Hoekstra HJ, Fleer J, Sleijfer DT, Hoekstra-Weebers JE. Self-esteem, social support, and mental health in survivors of testicular cancer: a comparison based on relationship status. Urol Oncol. 2006;24(4):279-286.
19. De Padova S, Rosti G, Scarpi E, et al. Expectations of survivors, caregivers and healthcare providers for testicular cancer survivorship and quality of life. Tumori. 2011;97(3):367-373.
20. De Padova S, Casadei C, Berardi A, et al. Caregiver Emotional Burden in Testicular Cancer Patients: From Patient to Caregiver Support. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019;10:318.