AUA 2016: A Mobile Point-of-Care Application for Ureteral Stent Tracking - Session Highlights

San Diego, CA USA ( Placement of ureteral stents is one of the most common procedures in the field of endourology. Significant adverse complications and even medicolegal issues can develop with the stent removal failure. Investigators from Johns Hopkins in collaboration with Boston Scientific and Visible Health have developed an application to address the “forgotten ureteral stent” dilemma.

During a six month trial, 83 patients with 101 ureteral stents were logged onto the Ureteral Stent Tracker®, a secure, cloud-based mobile application. Unique identifiers such as patient name, date of insertion, laterality of stent, and anticipated extraction date are included in the patient profile. The stent care plan, created upon an entry in the application, can be made available to other members of the healthcare team such as surgery schedulers and nurses. Weekly email alerts are generated by the application in order to notify the healthcare team once stents are due for removal. In the study, 72% of ureteral stents were extracted within the stent removal target date, with the remaining 28% scheduled for future extractions. The application was able to identify two high risk patients who failed to return for their stent-removal appointment. Both patients were promptly contacted based on alerts generated by the application. Moreover, a real-time dashboard allows surgeons to quickly keep track of overdue, incomplete, indwelling and extracted stents and thus better evaluate success of all stent care plans.

Dr. Ziemba and colleagues will continue to augment the features of this mobile and browser application to perhaps include text messaging alerts to patients in order to prompt follow-up on catheter removal appointments. The investigators caution that this application is only as beneficial as the quality of the parameters entered onto the application and the responsiveness of the receiver of the ureteral removal alerts. In conclusion, this new, easy to use electronic application can potentially increase stent removal compliance and improve patient care in busy urological practices.


Presented By: Justin Ziemba, MD

Written By: Blanca Morales, Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine at the 2016 AUA Annual Meeting - May 6 - 10, 2016 – San Diego, California, USA