Centers of Excellence
Lower Urinary Tract Conditions
From the Editor
From the Desk of the Editor - "The Impact our Therapies Have on Sleep"
Very often when a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer we consider how our therapies effect different aspects of their health and quality of life. However holistic we have become one area that we have not been as considerate about is the impact our therapies have on sleep and the subsequent impact sleep disturbance.
Thanks to Gonzalez et al. we now have data that suggest we need to look at this impact. Recently published in cancer the study compares objective and subjective sleep disturbance in patients with prostate cancer receiving androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) compared with patients with prostate cancer previously treated with surgery only as well as men without a cancer history.
Benjamin M. Brucker, MD
Dr. Brucker is a recognized expert in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS), Urodynamics, incontinence and voiding dysfunction of men and women. He is an Assistant Professor of Urology and Obstetrics and Gynecology at NYU Langone Health in New York, New York. He is the director of the Neurourology program at the Multiple Sclerosis Comprehensive Care Center, Associate Program Director of the Urology Residency and FPMRS fellowships. He is also the Chief Quality and Safety Officer for the Department of Urology, and Medical Directors of the Urology and Neurology Unit.
After graduating from Cornell University, he received his MD from University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He remained at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Health System completing residence in Urology. From Philadelphia, he continued his post graduate work at New York University completing a FPMRS fellowship. He has a busy clinical practice at NYU Langone Health, with an academic interest in Functional Urology. He has authored numerous peer reviewed papers, book chapters and edited books on the subject. He lectures and teaches nationally and internationally on these topics. He is involved with many of the American Urologic Association (AUA) education courses, and is very active member of Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction (SUFU) and is an original member the Young SUFU members committee. He has won numerous professional awards including recognition as a Rising Star by Super Doctors, Top Urologist by Leading Physicians of the World, and Top Doctor by Castle Connelly.
SUFU WM 2018
- SUFU 2018: Management of Nocturia March 2, 2018
- SUFU 2018: Pathophysiology of Nocturia March 2, 2018
- SUFU 2018: Management of LUTS in the Male Underactive Bladder March 2, 2018
- Development of a new patient-reported outcome (PRO) measure on the Impact of Nighttime Urination (INTU) in patients with nocturia-Psychometric validation.
- Desmopressin for treating nocturia in men.
- Systematic review of proposed definitions of nocturnal polyuria and population-based evidence of their diagnostic accuracy.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic recommendations for patients with nocturia.
- The Relationship Between Sleep Disorders and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
- Sleep and Nocturia in Older Adults.
- Best practice in the management of storage symptoms in male lower urinary tract symptoms: a review of the evidence base.