Charles J. Ryan, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine and Urology
Division of Hematology / Oncology
Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of California
San Francisco, California
Charles J. Ryan, MD is Professor of Clinical Medicine and Urology in the Division of Hematology / Oncology at the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where he is the leader of the Genitourinary Medical Oncology Program. He received his MD from the University of Wisconsin in Madison and completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, where he also served as Chief Resident. He completed a fellowship in medical oncology in the Department of Medicine at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York.
His clinical and research work centers on the design and conduct of clinical trials of novel therapies for advanced prostate cancer, specifically secondary hormonal therapies targeting adrenal androgen signaling, insulin growth factor inhibitors, androgen receptor targeted therapy and chemotherapy. In addition to clinical trials, Dr. Ryan collaborates with many laboratories researching the role of the androgen receptor and other signaling mechanisms in prostate cancer patients.
Dr. Ryan is a member of several honor societies and is the recipient of a Leadership and Service Award and the John Kimberly Curtis Award from the University of Wisconsin Medical School. He received the American College of Physicians/American Society of Internal Medicine Evergreen Award in 2000 and the American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award and Cancer and Leukemia Group B: Young Investigator Award, both in 2003. He was awarded the Donald Coffey Career Development Award from the Prostate Cancer Foundation in 2006 and a California Coalition to Cure Prostate Cancer Award in 2007.
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- Holzbeierlein J, Lal P, LaTulippe E, Smith A, Satagopan J, Zhang L, Ryan C, Smith S, Scher H, Scardino P, Reuter P, GeraldWL. Gene expression analysis of human prostate carcinoma during hormonal therapy identifies androgen-responsive genes and mechanisms of therapy resistance. Am J Pathol 164: 217,2004.
- Ryan CJ, Smith A, Lal P, Satagopan J, Reuter V, Scardino P, Gerald W, Scher HI. Persistent prostate-specific antigen expression after neoadjuvant androgen depletion: An early predictor of relapse or incomplete androgen suppression. Urology 68: 834-39, 2006.
- Ryan CJ, Halabi S, Kaplan E, Vogelzang NJ, Kantoff P, Small EJ. Adrenal androgen levels as predictors of outcome in prostate cancer patients treated with ketoconazole plus antiandrogen withdrawal: Results from a Cancer and Leukemia B study. Clin Cancer Res 13: 2030-37, 2007.
- Ryan CJ, Stadler W, Roth B, Hutcheon D, Conry S, Puchalski M, Small E. Phase I dose escalation and pharmacokinetic study of AZD2171, a highly potent VEGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with hormone refractory prostate cancer. Investigational New Drugs 25: 445-51, 2007.
- Ryan, CJ, Elkin E, Carroll P. Initial treatment patterns and outcome of contemporary patients with metastatic prostate cancer at diagnosis: Data from CaPSURE™. Cancer 110: 81-6, 2007.
- Hsieh A, Small E, Ryan CJ. Functional significance of androgen response elements in prostate cancer: Implications for therapy development. Lancet Oncol 8: 933-9, 2007.
- Ryan CJ, Harzstark AH, Rosenberg JE, Lin AM, Claros C, Goldfine ID, Kerner J, Small EJ. A pilot dose escalation study of the effects of Nordihydroguareacetic acid on hormone levels and prostate specific antigen in patients with relapsed prostate cancer. BJU Inti 101: 436-9, 2008.
- Ryan CJ, Zavodovskaya M, Kerner J, Youngren J, CampbeiiM, Jones J, Shiry L, AllanG Maddux B, Goldfine I. Inhibitory effects ofNordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) on the IGF-1 receptor and androgen dependent growth ofLAPC-4 prostate cancer cells. Prostate 68: 1232-40, 2008.
- Need EF, Scher HI, Cheong A, Ryan CJ, Shen HC, Coetzee GA, Wittert GA, Marshall VR, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Buchanan G. A novel androgen receptor amino terminal region reveals two classes of amino/carboxyl interaction (N/C) deficient variants with divergent capacity to activate responsive sites in chromatin". Endocrinology. Endocrinology 150: 2764-82,2009.
- Aggarwal R, Weinberg V, Small EJ, Oh W, Rushakoff R, Ryan CJ The mechanism of action of estrogen in castrate-resistant prostate cancer: Clues from hormone levels. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer 7: E71-6, 2009
- Ryan CJ, Smith MR, Fong L, Rosenberg JE, Kantoff PW, Raynuad F, <em>et al</em>. Phase I clinical trial of the CYP 17 inhibitor abiraterone Acetate (CB7630), demonstrating clinical activity in castration resistant prostate cancer patients with prior ketoconazole therapy. J Clin Oncol 28: 1481-88, 2010.
- Reid AH, Attard G, Danila DC, Oommen NB, Olmos D, Fong PC, Molife LR, Hunt J, Messiou C, Parker C, Dearnaley D, Swennenhuis JF, Terstappen LW, Lee G, Kheoh T, Molina A, Ryan CJ, Small E, Scher HI, de Bono JS. Significant and Sustained Antitumor Activity in Post-Docetaxel, Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer With the CYP17 Inhibitor Abiraterone Acetate. J Clin Oncol 28:1489-95,2010.
- Danila DC, Morris MJ, de Bono JS, Ryan CJ, Denmeade SR, Smith MR, Taplin ME, Bubley GJ, Kheoh T, Haqq C, Molina A, Anand A, Koscuiszka M, Larson SM, Schwartz LH, Fleisher M, Scher HI.Phase II Multicenter Study of Abiraterone Acetate Plus Prednisone Therapy in Patients With Docetaxel Treated Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol 28: 1496-1501 , 2010.
- de Bono JS, Logothetis CJ, Molina A, Fizazi K, North S, Chu L, Chi KN, Jones RJ, Goodman 0, Saad F, Staffurth J, Mainwaring P, Harland S, Flaig T, Hutson T, Cheng T, Patterson H, Hainsworth J, Ryan CJ, Sternberg C, Ellard S, Flechon A, Saleh M, Scholz M, Efstathiou E, Zivi A, Chieffo N, Kheoh T, Haqq CM, Scher HI. Abiraterone Acetate Improves Overall Survival from Metastatic Prostate Cancer. NEJM 364(21):1995-2005, 2011.
- Ryan CJ, Shah S, Efstathiou E, Smith MR, Taplin ME, Bubley GJ, Logothetis CJ, Kheoh T, Kilian C, Haqq CM, Molina A,6 and Small EJ. Phase II Study of Abiraterone Acetate in Chemotherapy-Na"ive Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Displaying Bone Flare Discordant With Serologic Response. CCR 17(14):4854-4861, 2011.